Saturday, April 24, 2010

Does the number of syllables in a name have any psychological significance...ie?

do one syllable names sound more authoritative [ie tom john zak] as opposed to more effeminate names [jeremy anthony oliver] with more than two syllables?



my name can be either 1 ,2 or 3 syllables depending on the variant i chose.



Does the number of syllables in a name have any psychological significance...ie?download windows media player





In my opinion, Thomas sounds more authorative than Tom. James more than John, Anthony more than Tony, Nathaniel more than Nathan, etc. The shortened version of the name sounds causual and friendly.



I have a good friend whose name is Timothy...all his friends call him Tim, I however, refer to him as Timothy...he says he likes it because it sounds respectful, whereas some people may think it sounds like a child's name. So, to really answer your question, it's all about one's own opinion.



Does the number of syllables in a name have any psychological significance...ie?internet explorer update internet explorer



easier to remember shorter names, I guess. they're not really very beautiful though, are they?
I think you are right, just look at the names that are given to particular characters in books and films? All names have subliminal or overt associations (Adoph anyone?) but those short, snappy Tom's and Jack's are in my mind practical, capable people. Timothy is a crap name for a hero. Has Robert De Niro or Al Pacino ever played a character called Timothy, I think not. Maybe it's just a cultural thing.



Good question though
When I look at my name "Kelly", I think of green and I stand out.



I would be very impressed with a name like Jonathan Fitzgerald Whatshisface.



But I will survive. Cute question.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
web hosting providers